The Making of a Series
*****
Alex and Jared made their first appearance in a story I wrote after a heartfelt discussion with a good friend of mine about being gay and his experience going to church. He and his partner attended together but he noted something that occurred regularly both before and after the service. If he and his partner were not standing together people said hello and stopped to speak as if everything were fine, but when they stood together, as a couple, it was as if they were invisible. Gazes slid right past them as if they were not even there.It was during that conversation I was introduced to the idea of the “Gay Wall.” My friend told me a story about a child coloring a wall with a brick red crayon. Unfortunately I can’t remember the details, which is a shame because it tied into our conversation remarkably. He allowed me to see the world through his eyes and what I saw hurt. Afterwards I was unable to get experience out of my head and so I wrote about it. The story is titled The Color of Pain and you can read it here.
Though Jared and Alex are first introduced an emotionally painful way their story, as it has evolved in the series, is much happier. The gay wall is absent in the books and they live a life of acceptance by their family, friends and the community as a whole that is more fairytale than reality. Their story is how I wish the world could be, or more accurately the way I think it should be.
After I wrote The Color of Pain, I featured Alex in Jared in several original stories. The stories were the foundation of the first book, Our December. Written first as ‘snapshots’ of Jared and Alex, the short stories looked at the guys not only from their personal point of view but also from the prospective of those around them. The effort of pulling the individual stories into a single book is how the idea was born to share a look into the couple’s future at the beginning and end of each book. Those of us who enjoy romance with a happy ending know going in that the main characters will get together. We don’t read for ‘if’ we read for ‘how’. For fans of romance every story is about the journey, and knowing that I decided to tell Alex and Jared’s story in a unique way. I think having that image of them together and happy from the beginning and knowing for sure things are going to work out is comforting.
Of course the real foundation of the Making of a Man is the relationship of Alex and Jared, present and future. Many stories begin in the mind of the author with a simple question.
“What if…”
The love story of Alex and Jared began exactly that way. What if a young boy fell in love, real forever and always love? What if the man he loved was older, yet loved him in return? How would such an event shape the life of such an impressionable young person?”
It seems odd to me to think of Alex and Jared in such abstract terms at this point. Alex is that boy, full of youthful energy, hope, and courage; and Jared the ‘older’ man with his feet firmly planted in reality and brimming with unmatched integrity.
Soon after I began writing the Series I discovered it is impossible to tell the story of one life intimately influenced by another. Influence is never a one way street. The result is that, as the books progress and the story of Alex and Jared unfolds, we learn how their love shapes the men they become to such an extent it is impossible to know what one would have become without the other.
As it says in the blurb on the back cover of Life Should be Beautiful, the print edition of the first three books in the series: Through the years they begin to understand something many never learn. Life teaches the lessons, but love is the making of a man.
Well, that’s pretty much it… I hope everyone enjoyed reading about the origins of the series.
And now it’s time for some fun! Contest! Free Stuff! (What’s better than that?)
I’m giving away a double prize by random drawing.
A T-shirt with the cover of If the Stars Fall on the front and an autographed copy of my print book, Life Should be Beautiful, The Making of a Man Volume One.
I don’t have a picture of the shirt as I will not know what size to make it until someone wins! Good Luck!
Don’t forget to pick up your copy of If the Stars Fall, The Making of a Man Book 5.
After I wrote The Color of Pain, I featured Alex in Jared in several original stories. The stories were the foundation of the first book, Our December. Written first as ‘snapshots’ of Jared and Alex, the short stories looked at the guys not only from their personal point of view but also from the prospective of those around them. The effort of pulling the individual stories into a single book is how the idea was born to share a look into the couple’s future at the beginning and end of each book. Those of us who enjoy romance with a happy ending know going in that the main characters will get together. We don’t read for ‘if’ we read for ‘how’. For fans of romance every story is about the journey, and knowing that I decided to tell Alex and Jared’s story in a unique way. I think having that image of them together and happy from the beginning and knowing for sure things are going to work out is comforting.
Of course the real foundation of the Making of a Man is the relationship of Alex and Jared, present and future. Many stories begin in the mind of the author with a simple question.
“What if…”
The love story of Alex and Jared began exactly that way. What if a young boy fell in love, real forever and always love? What if the man he loved was older, yet loved him in return? How would such an event shape the life of such an impressionable young person?”
It seems odd to me to think of Alex and Jared in such abstract terms at this point. Alex is that boy, full of youthful energy, hope, and courage; and Jared the ‘older’ man with his feet firmly planted in reality and brimming with unmatched integrity.
Soon after I began writing the Series I discovered it is impossible to tell the story of one life intimately influenced by another. Influence is never a one way street. The result is that, as the books progress and the story of Alex and Jared unfolds, we learn how their love shapes the men they become to such an extent it is impossible to know what one would have become without the other.
As it says in the blurb on the back cover of Life Should be Beautiful, the print edition of the first three books in the series: Through the years they begin to understand something many never learn. Life teaches the lessons, but love is the making of a man.
Well, that’s pretty much it… I hope everyone enjoyed reading about the origins of the series.
And now it’s time for some fun! Contest! Free Stuff! (What’s better than that?)
I’m giving away a double prize by random drawing.
A T-shirt with the cover of If the Stars Fall on the front and an autographed copy of my print book, Life Should be Beautiful, The Making of a Man Volume One.
I don’t have a picture of the shirt as I will not know what size to make it until someone wins! Good Luck!
Don’t forget to pick up your copy of If the Stars Fall, The Making of a Man Book 5.
*****
Blurb:
Jared Douglas and Alex Ross share a life many people envy. When disaster strikes, it hits hard and their long standing relationship is put to the test, making Jared realize how fragile love can be.
Buy If The Stars Fall, The Making of a Man Book 5 here »
Jared Douglas and Alex Ross share a life many people envy. When disaster strikes, it hits hard and their long standing relationship is put to the test, making Jared realize how fragile love can be.
Buy If The Stars Fall, The Making of a Man Book 5 here »
*****
Many thanks to RJ Scott for letting us take over her blog today!

Hi Diane!
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to read If The Stars Fall. It is waiting for me, somewhat patiently, on my kindle. LOL. I love this series.
Hi RJ! Thanks for having Diane over.
Please count me in for the contest.
Big Hugs,
Sharon
schofield726(at)comcast(dot)net
Hi Sharon! Thank you so much for all your support <3 I can't wait for you to read the book and know how you liked it. Diane
DeleteHi Diane and RJ!
ReplyDeleteI think I've said how I felt about this series over upon FB, but there's something else that I thought I should add here. Have you given any thought of submitting this story to lifetime and seeing if they'd be willing to make it into a movie? The story is really breath-taking, and I really can't wait to read the fifth book. (even if I haven't read the fourth one yet, heh.) Seriously though, I really think this might be something they would be interested in.. if not Lifetime.. then perhaps Logo, I think that's the name of the channel I'm thinking of.
Reguardless, congratulations on the book as well as being number six on Silver Publishers Best Sellers list!
And, please do include me in the contest. :)
Denise
BlendingWords@yahoo.com
Wow, Jared and Alex on TV that's something to think about :D I think they'd be a fantastic Series, if they were portrayed as real people and not the comedy fodder so many gay couples are treated as on TV today.
DeleteThank you Denise <3 Your support and encouragement mean a lot.
Diane
I agree. I hate seeing gay couples only portrayed as comedy. Seeing more gay/lesbian couples is a step forward but now we need to see them in all areas not just comedy. I would love to see this series as a movie (not sitcom- too many ways to make them sad lol).
DeleteAlex and Jared would be annoyed to have their lives portrayed as a sitcom lol. They should be on the big screen I think <3
DeleteHi Diane!
ReplyDeleteSo interesting to see how the series came to be. Yes, the romance between Alex and Jared might be more fairytale than realistic, but that is why I read books. :-) Full blown realism doesn't always allow for happy endings, and I do like the HEAs. ;-)
I've already bought this books and I cannot wait to start reading it! I read the first and second chapter on your blog and it seems like the men are going to have quite a painful ride in this book. And that's okay, because I already know they'll have their HEA when the book reaches it's end. ;-)
Hugs!
TT
ttkove AT gmail DOT com
Thank you TT! You are quite right about everything being okay in the end, I think this one had the best ending ever :D. I hope you enjoy it. Thank you so much for taking the time to come by and celebrate release day with me! Let me know how you like the book once you've read it <3
DeleteDiane
Hi Diane! Loved your post! It was really interesting to see where the story began. I've had many different friends ask why I read romance when I know what the ending will be or how could I get so involved when I know what the end will be. I alwasy just say that I like that I know that they are going to be happy and if I wanted real life I wouldn't read romance. But after reading you post I realized that is not true. I never thought about it before but it is not just the fact that I know there will be a HEA but the how that it happens that I love reading. Thank you for making such a great love story. Everyone talks about Jared and Alex but I would also like to say it is fantastic to see such a strong character as Clark and Alex's father in the story. Clark shows what a true friend is and I love that you took the time to give him a story. Can't wait to read the next book
ReplyDeleteForetta
Foretta!! Hi :D
DeleteI think the HEA doesn't mean quite as much if the couple didn't have to work a little to get there :)
Thank you for mentioning Clark and Frank (Alex's Dad) I forgot to mention the other thing I learned writing this series is that no couple is an island, and the people in their lives can have as much affect on who they become as the one they love. Jared and Alex are expecially blessed to have such wonderful people in their lives.
I CANNOT WAIT for you to read If the Stars Fall. I hope you love it.
Your love and encouragment mean a lot, and you've recruited your whole family. You rock! <3
Diane
I read just about anything, but romance is my comfort food. It's relaxing knowing that eventually... they'll be happy, even if my own life doesn't seem very similar at the time. I read to escape reality, not live it over again. (Horror is one thing I generally won't read. Not relaxing!)
ReplyDeleteashley.vanburen[at]gmail[dot]com
I agree, horrer is very stressful and so are some 'who don it's' It's so nice to just curl up with a good book and loose yourself in a world where everything is going to be okay <3
DeleteThank you for stopping by Ley, good luck in the contest!
This sounds like the beginning of a wonderful series. I have just one of your books, Our December and loved it! I'll have to add to my list, especially this series. Thanks for sharing and for the prizes!!
ReplyDelete~Rush~
taina1959@yahoo.com
Hi Rush, Our December is the first book in the series. The Making of a Man includes:
DeleteOur December
A Place to Run
Stronger in Your Hands
Clark's Story
If the Stars Fall
If you decide to read the rest I hope you enjoy them! Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Good Luck! <3
Diane
I am an avid book borrower, being temporarily without a job. Anyway, I've been begging to borrow this series for nearly two weeks! A coincidence? Am I prescient? I cannot wait to read it. Thanks for the backstory!
ReplyDeleteUrb
brendurbanist at gmail dot com
Hi Diane,
ReplyDeleteLike I said love the book although it's hard for me to see them in their fifties... I'm so used to the so much younger... But still couldn't stop reading once I started :) Always the mark of a great book!
Count me in :)
kinneret
kennywster@gmail.com
Hopefully the fact they were in their thirties for most of the book helped lol. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, thank you for stopping to comment! Good luck in the contest.
Delete<3 Diane
Hi Diane. Just wanted to say I've loved this series since the beginning and I can't wait to read this one. Please count me in. =}
ReplyDeletenpat78@yahoo.com
Hi Pat! thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy If the Stars Fall and good luck in the contest <3
DeleteDiane
I love their story so much I can't wait to read this one but I have to wait til next week to get it :( but I can't wait to read it!
ReplyDeleteDeborah H
Deborahhansen52@yahoo.com
Hi Deborah, I hope you enjoy it when you are able to get it. Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing your feelings about the series. I'm happy you like it so much. Good luck in the contest <3
DeleteDiane
Very cool, Diane
ReplyDeleteHi Pelaam! Thank you, and good luck in the contest <3
DeleteDiane
Love the series!
ReplyDeleteYvette
yratpatrol@aol.com
Thank you, Yvette!
Delete<3 Diane
Diane,
ReplyDeleteThis series is one of the most poignant stories I have ever read. I wasn't sure what to expect when I read the first one, but I became so engrossed in the story, I had to go buy the other ones available at the time. As soon as If the Stars Fall became available for pre-order, I bought it to. Today is the first chance I had to read it. I cried, but mostly I smiled, because like you, I believe this is how it should be too. Sure, there will always be prejudices, but I dream of the day when it will be possible for my friends to get married anywhere and for it to be legal in all places, as well as have the same rights as my husband and I do as a heterosexual couple. I believe that one day this will happen, maybe Not in my lifetime, but it will happen.
Thank you for those wonderful series and I can't wait for more.
Mary thank you so much for such a wonderful comment <3 I hope that we do live to see such a day, but if not it's important to pave the way for our children to enjoy such wonderful freedom.
DeleteI appreciate so much that you took time to stop by and participate today, good luck in the contest <3
Diane